Ben,

Here are my thoughts:

- First off, we have given Camerfirma the benefit of the doubt for too long
and Mozilla can't continue to trust Camerfirma while they remediate these
problems. With all the documented issues and Camerfirma's response, that
would represent an unacceptable ongoing risk to Mozilla's users. Distrust
is the first step.
- While most documented incidents are related to TLS certificates, I see
nothing to indicate that Camerfirma manages S/MIME any better. It's more
likely that we simply don't know about many of the email certificate issues
due to the lack of CT enforcement. Mozilla should act to protect
Thunderbird users as well.
- Given the number of issues that have been documented with Camerfirma's
delegated SubCAs, any remediation plan that has them keeping control of CA
certificates is a non-starter for me. Having said that, I don't think
Mozilla should forbid future delegated SubCAs, but rather require
Camerfirma to gain approval for each one (as is currently required by
section 8.1 of the Mozilla Root Store Policy).
- Camerfirma's current certificate hierarchies are quite outdated and
represent a significant risk independent of their operator. They must be
replaced as part of any remediation plan.
- To regain trust, Camerfirma will need to take adequate time to complete
the remediations they have outlined and present evidence of the
improvements from their auditor as part of a new root inclusion request.

Thanks,

Wayne

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 4:01 PM Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy <