On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy <

> On second thought, I think that Mozilla can accomplish what we want without
> modifying the MRSP
> <
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/#32-auditors
> >
> (which says audits MUST be performed by a Qualified Auditor, as defined in
> the Baseline Requirements section 8.2), and instead adding language to
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Audit_Statements#Auditor_Qualifications that
> explains what additional information we need submitted to determine that an
> auditor is "qualified" under Section 8.2 of the Baseline Requirements.
>
> In other words (paraphrasing from BR 8.2), we would need evidence that the
> persons or entities:
> 1. Are independent from the subject of the audit;
> 2. Have the ability to conduct an audit that addresses the criteria;
> 3. Have proficiency in examining Public Key Infrastructure technology,
> information security tools and techniques, information technology and
> security auditing, and the third-party attestation function;
> 4. Are accredited in accordance with ISO 17065 applying the requirements
> specified in ETSI EN 319 403  *OR*   5. Are licensed by WebTrust;
> 6. Are bound by law, government regulation, or professional code of ethics
> (to render an honest and objective opinion); and
> 7. Maintain Professional Liability/Errors & Omissions insurance with policy
> limits of at least one million US dollars in coverage.
>
> We do some of this already when we check on an auditor's status to bring an
> auditor's record current in the CCADB.  The edits that we'll make will just
> make it easier for us to go through the list above.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not sure this approach is very clear about the edits you're making, and
whether pull requests or commits might be clearer, as Wayne did in the
past. If there is a commit, happy to look at it and apologies if I missed
it.

I'm not sure this addresses the issue as raised, or at least, "or entities"
seems to create the same issues that are trying to be addressed, by
thinking in terms of "legal entities" rather than qualified persons.

Your discussion about "auditor's" and "auditor's status" might be misread
as "Audit firm", when I think the issue raised was thinking about "person
performing the audit". The individual persons aren't necessarily licensed
or accredited (e.g. #4/ #5), and may not be the ones that retain PL/E&O
insurance (#7). Further, the individuals might be independent, but the firm
not (#1)

So I think you're really just left with wanting to have a demonstration as
to the members of the audit team and how individual members meet (#2, #3,
#6). Is that right? I think Kathleen's proposal from November got close to
that, and then the remainder is clarifying the language that you've
proposed for 2.7.1, namely "Individuals have competence, partnerships and
corporations do not".

I think the expectation goal is that "Individually, and as an audit team,
they are independent (#1)" (e.g. you can't have a non-independent party
running the audit with a bunch of independent parties reporting to them,
since they're no longer independent), while that collectively the audit
team meets #2/#3, with the burden being to demonstrate how the individuals
on the team meet that.

Is that what you were thinking? Or is my explanation a jumbled mess :)