Hi Ben,

I think the expectation can be clarified by amending the paragraph starting
with “The process outlined herein applies to subCA operators not already in the
Mozilla root program”. I suggest explicitly mentioning the three different
types of trust, namely Email, (non-EV) Websites, and EV Websites and requiring
the process be followed whenever an organization is to receive a subCA
certificate that grants one or more of those technical capabilities that the
organization did not have in the Mozilla root program. As a concrete proposal:

“The process outlined herein applies to organizations that do not control a
Root or subCA certificate trusted by the Mozilla root program. Additionally,
the process outlined herein applies to organizations that control a subCA or
Root CA certificate in Mozilla’s root program but the new subCA certificate
will grant technical capability for the issuance of additional types of
certificates. Specifically, the process outlined herein MUST be followed when
an organization does not control a subCA or Root CA certificate that grants
capability to issue certificates of one or more of the following types and the
new subCA certificate will grant such capability: S/MIME (Email trust bit),
(DV/IV/OV) TLS Server Authentication (Websites trust bit), and/or EV TLS Server
Authentication (Websites trust bit with EV-enablement).”

Thanks,

Corey