On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 9:38 AM Corey Bonnell <corey.bonn...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I agree with Rob that a CSR contains all the SANs of a certificate request
> is not necessarily sufficient PoP. A bit of PKI fan fiction to illustrate:

I think you may be conflating my remarks with Doug’s? I wasn’t proposing an
“all sans” rule, but a “subscriber” rule - see below.

There are mitigations that the CA can put in place to lower the chances of
> that from happening (such as binding a submitted public key to a specific
> Subscriber account), but even that may be flawed since it’s essentially
> TOFU (the first Applicant to submit the CSR “wins”). Given these concerns,
> I don’t think it necessarily follows that a CSR that contains all SANs of a
> given certificate request constitutes PoP in all cases.

To be clear, I was suggesting that the question of “have they proven POP”
is about whether the subscriber, who provided the CSR and validated the
domain, is the one who initiates the revocation request.

In this adversarial example, where a rogue CSR is obtained, such as for one
of these BygoneSSL-style expired/unregistered domains, the fundamental
question it seems we’re asking is: is signing a CSR for that name an
authorization for that key to be used with that name? And, if it is, what
privileges are afforded to the Subscriber account?

I think you and Rob are arguing either that
a) A CSR shouldn’t be seen as authorization for that domain to use that key

or

b) That zero privileges are afforded and some separate demonstration of
control is needed

I’m not sure how b would work though, because even systems like
bootstrapping a revocation key are still working on the assumption that the
entity who presented the CSR and performed the domain validation challenge
is authorized to bootstrap said key. If the CSR isn’t the source of that
authorization, where does it flow?

It would seem that, if we take the CSR out of the mix, you’re looking to
bootstrap some form of challenge-response protocol, similar to DNS
challenge/response. Which, to be fair, a CSR can be as well, as we saw with
.onion. But how well does that align with how the WebPKI works today, and
has worked for decades?

Is there a connection I’m failing to make here?