as clients may want to reuse csr for renewal (like some key pinning), wouldn't
it better to bind csr to acme account? or like only allow first acme account
that used that csr(hash entire csr file) considered have POP내 Galaxy에서 보냄
-------- 원본 이메일 --------발신: "'Aaron Gable' via dev-security-policy@mozilla.org"
<dev-security-policy@mozilla.org> 날짜: 22/2/8  03:31  (GMT+09:00) 받은 사람: Doug
Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com> 참조: r...@sleevi.com, Matthew Hardeman
<mharde...@gmail.com>, Jesper Kristensen <jesperm...@gmail.com>,
dev-security-policy@mozilla.org 제목: Re: Revocation Reason Codes for TLS
End-Entity Certificates It seems clear to me that a CSR cannot be proof of
possession. It doesn't require a poorly-behaving reseller or RA. It just
requires that a subscriber both a) upload their CSR somewhere, and then b)
allow their domain registration to lapse. Then some other actor can register
the same domain and re-use the public CSR to request issuance. The domain
registrar, hosting provider, RA, and CA have all done everything by the book,
but the latter actor does not have possession of the key in that CSR.The issue
here is fundamentally that CSRs are not bound to a time. They contain no
indicator of when or in what context they were signed.Brainstorming here: what
if the ACME protocol were augmented to say that the CSR submitted in a Finalize
Order request should contain a new extension (say, `acmeOrder`) whose value is
the unique "finalize url" contained within the order object being finalized.
This would bind the CSR to an Order, which can only be finalized once, and so
would immediately show if a CSR was being re-used from a previous issuance.
(Including an extra extension in the CSR should be unproblematic because it is
widely accepted that CAs should not blindly copy extensions from a CSR to the
final certificate.) Do we think this slightly-modified CSR would count as
sufficient proof of possession? Non-ACME CAs could use similar techniques to
encourage subscribers to include unique values in their CSRs at issuance time
as well.AaronOn Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 4:46 AM 'Doug Beattie' via
dev-security-policy@mozilla.org <dev-security-policy@mozilla.org> wrote:Picking
up a CSR from a repository or public location and submitting that to a CA as
POP is certainly a bad idea for the reasons already discussed, but if the CA
can confirm that the Subscriber is supplying it (or supplied it with their cert
request), can’t that be used as POP?  For example, within an enterprise account
where an Enterprise RA could provide the CSR post issuance (or ideally the CSR
with all the SANs to be used for issuance).  Wouldn’t that work?   From:
dev-security-policy@mozilla.org <dev-security-policy@mozilla.org> On Behalf Of
Ryan SleeviSent: Saturday, February 5, 2022 7:56 PMTo: Matthew Hardeman
<mharde...@gmail.com>Cc: Jesper Kristensen <jesperm...@gmail.com>; Ryan Sleevi
<r...@sleevi.com>; dev-security-policy@mozilla.orgSubject: Re: Revocation
Reason Codes for TLS End-Entity Certificates I’m not sure - was that question
directed at me? Hopefully it’s clear why I’m concerned about that, but the
proposal being made makes me think that may not be clear? Specifically, this
introduces the “hoop jumping” concern and shifts the burden to every Subscriber
to do something new and different, versus the status quo today, and that seems
a serious step back. On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 5:23 PM Matthew Hardeman
<mharde...@gmail.com> wrote:Rather than accept the presentation of any
arbitrary CSR over a given key as proof of possession of a key for purposes of
revocation request, why not require that the party purporting
possession/control/knowledge of the key instead create a CSR with a randomly
chosen (by CA) value in the CSR subject like
CN=rev-req-01233456789.revoketarget.com? This is unburdensome in the sense that
any party with the key and any technical capabilities relevant to PKI should be
able to perform this task without any new or additional tooling.  It also has
the advantage that it could be part of an automatic protocol if desired, but
also could be implemented in a manual protocol.  Further, it introduces no risk
to or from any parties who may previously have treated a CSR as an artifact
requiring no protection. On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 2:58 PM Jesper Kristensen
<jesperm...@gmail.com> wrote:I saw someone describe how they reused the key
across customers for memory saving (but still one cert per customer domain) in
a help thread on Let's Encrypt community forums. But I don't know if they were
also accepting customer uploaded certs. I think my main point is that if we
decide that a CSR is POP, we need to start telling people that a CSR needs to
be kept secret, because that is not obvious now, and we can think of scenarios
where someone might share CSRs today, which may be insecure practice in the
future. Den lør. 5. feb. 2022 kl. 20.24 skrev Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>:Are
we just coming up with random hypotheticals here? Do you know of any provider
that does this? Is there any counter-proposal for how to ensure that
Subscribers with certificates today can reliably revoke their existing
certificates? Or are folks coming up with these scenarios actively rejecting
this as a valid need? I don’t disagree that, as with anything, we have risks. I
think Rob’s scenario points, somewhat, to the need to curtail domain reuse as
narrowly as possible (hours, not years). I’d be curious to know what the
alternatives folks are proposing, or whether it really is to tell Subscribers
“tough, you’ve got another hoop to jump through to get these certificates
revoked”. Because if we’re willing to do that, wouldn’t it be better to instead
do something like mandate all CAs support ACME, to at least provide a
consistent protocol for this?-- You received this message because you are
subscribed to the Google Groups "dev-security-policy@mozilla.org" group.To
unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
dev-security-policy+unsubscr...@mozilla.org.to view this discussion on the web
visit
https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/dev-security-policy/CACAF_WiQmexceytd6zGNDDV_E24XfOQX-_QuTE-3yBZzrJc0SA%40mail.gmail.com.--
https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/dev-security-policy/CAErg%3DHHroicfQk4dW2-AeSu%3DamR9YnKumN%3DGJgWx5yygXNVvGQ%40mail.gmail.com.