Dear DSP participants,

Recently at the IETF a novel compression scheme for certificates was put
forward. This compression scheme depends on a dictionary based on all CA
certificates and intermediates. The presence of many small CAs expands this
dictionary, and the benefit of small CAs is small.

Small CAs have other costs: they are unlikely to have the resources to
comply with more intrusive security measures or staff that can execute the
tasks required when these measures fail. Meanwhile they have the same
capacity to damage the security of the webPKI as much more well resourced
ones. At the same time todays small CA is tomorrow's giant and refuge
should we need to distrust a big CA.

I'd like to propose that any CA that has existed for five or more years
whose annual issuance volume is under 2,000 EE certs be distrusted. To
avoid injuring subscribers this distrust is "mild": all existing issued
certs are fine, and the entity can handle all but the BR validation for
specified intermediate of a bigger CA. This prevents the user community of
the CA from being left high and dry. I haven't counted how many would be
affected. For clarity I think this should only be for TLS server auth
mainly because that's the highest risk kind of CA.

I realize this is an inevitably controversial proposal, (I called it a can
of worms at the mic)  but the guidelines already ask for a balancing task
between the value to users and the risk posed by a CA. I don't think we
should be afraid to put some numbers on.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd