We could require self-reporting split between customer and CA-owned EE
certificates (potentially with audits) here, but I'm not a huge fan of the
idea of a set threshold. There might be smaller CAs that can justify value
either way.

Maybe we could instead make this a requirement to have a root certificate
in the trust store but instead allow fully outsourced intermediary
certificates to be operated by these entities? They could still be revoked
via OneCRL etc if they need to be removed and would have the same
requirements as other CAs, but would take up less space in a compression
table because fewer certificates would be needed. Of course, this would not
mitigate the other security issues.

Perhaps a combination of stricter justification of value and my proposal
might make sense?

Maria Merkel