Robert Sayre wrote:
It seems like EV certs are claiming to provide the sort of protection regular certificates were initially supposed to provide.

Yes, basically.

Could you explain why this is not a bait and switch, because it looks that way to me.

I don't understand what you mean by "bait and switch" in this context.

Certificates may, at one time, have had good vetting behind them. However, because there were no standards, that led to a race to the bottom, where some CAs tried to cut corners and costs, knowing that their certs would still turn on the padlock. This devalued the padlock - and it remains devalued today.

We could rehabilitate the padlock by examining carefully the issuing practices of all existing CAs, throwing them into two buckets marked "good enough" and "not good enough", and not displaying the padlock for the second lot. This would a) be a great deal of work, if it were even possible to get access to each CA's proprietary processes, and b) break half the SSL web when we threw out some of the root certificates.

Alternatively, we could start again with a new UI indicator, this one actually backed by an objective standard and a minimum level of vetting. Which is the idea behind EV.

Surely we should support them, just like we do normal certificates, but I don't see why we should present them any differently in the UI.

Because they would then be differentiated from existing certificates which don't provide the sort of protection etc. etc.

Gerv