Heikki Toivonen wrote:
Actually, several million US citizens can not get a passport. I can't
find the actual article I read, but I saw it linked from reddit or digg
or some such in the last week or so. However, one example I found was if
you are more than $5000 behind in child support payments:
http://www.metnews.com/articles/euni022502.htm. I am pretty sure these
people can still start companies.

Are that people we want to give high assurance certs to?

Somebody being convicted for refusing to sing the national hymn in school and then not being allowed to get a passport due to being a "criminal" is one thing (I don't think that happens in the US, even former criminals can get a passport). But somebody not fulfilling financial duties is another, that actually is kind-of relevant.

And it's not like we'll require EV to set up a website or something.

Again, we need to ensure something to users. If people didn't bother to get passports, and now can't get one due to some strange US laws, and now want to be the CEO of a company, and want to get EV, they may be out of luck. Note that it's only the CEO *or* other registered representative (and maybe admin, depends on scheme) who needs to provide the passport.

--
When responding via mail, please remove the ".news" from the email address.