* Eddy Nigg:

> if the EV guidelines require a site visit

They don't, as far as I can tell.  Evidence provided by a Qualified
Indepedent Information Source (QIIS) is usually sufficent.  Verisign
seems to have copied this part of the guidelines verbatim.

Now the interesting question is how much wiggle room there is in the
definition of a QIIS.  Looks like a lot to me, and I wouldn't be
surprised if anyone had problems to say with certainty if certain
WHOIS operators can serve as a QIIS.

By the way, much of this could be sidestepped if CAs were required to
publish all the evidence they have gathered together with the EV
certificates they issue (in a complete list of certificates, not just
those certificates that are actually used on popular sites).  This
way, everyone could review the strength of each CA's EV process.  The
peer pressure should be sufficient to ensure that everyone keeps their
backyards clean.

> EV is already flawed by the biggest certification authority

Is the current certificate on https://www.verisign.com/ an EV
certificate?  It lacks a physical address, which is required by (my
reading of) the guidelines.