Hi Gerv,

Gervase Markham wrote:

Just to be clear: this is, at heart, a UI proposal, isn't it? You want the UI to differentiate between these four levels, rather than just the one level (as now) or two levels (as IE 7 does with EV)?
Before you can do anything with the UI, there needs to be an underlying framework and policy defining it. In this proposal it's actually more than that, it's a re-definition (or definition which exists mostly in practice at CAs, but not at the software) of how SSL certificates should be treated from now on. Once this is part of the Mozilla CA policy (and hopefully other vendors might follow the lead) an eventual UI proposal could be worked out. The UI can take many colors and shapes, but without the underlying framework no UI can do much...Please note, this is not about code, but about policy shaping...

The Mozilla Corporation has just hired Jonathan Nightingale from IBM to work specifically on security UI for Firefox 3. I'm sure he will take your proposal on board.
Perhaps, but we need to work out the definition for it first. I'm sure Jonathan will agree with me....in short, we have some work to do prior to that ;-)

I'm sorry, but I can't work it out - what does the abbreviation "resp." stand for?
It stands for "respective".

You explain the levels well in terms of the validation performed. However, as this is at heart a UI proposal, how do you suggest (in terms of concepts, rather than in terms of pixels) these levels should be presented to the user?
No idea yet...and as it was suggested previously, that there are some smart people on board for this, however once we get to it, I'll make my recommendations...trust me on that one ;-)

For example, my mother is considering using her credit card at a shop, and the UI indicates (in some way) that it is level 2 secured. Should she shop there?

I've visited a site that I think is my bank, and it has a level 4 certificate. Should I be concerned, given that level 4 is normally for individuals? How concerned?
As I indicated in the proposal, this is something we will have to work on and define exactly what we want. In my opinion Class 4 should be for individuals and client certificates only. However you might want to work out a similar definition for server certificates as well?

Why four levels, rather than six? Or two? Or ten?
Good question! The current proposal has been more or less common practice at many CAs (including Verisign and StartCom) and I view it as an almost de facto standard. By choosing a definition which is common and easy to adjust if needed by the CA, we can guaranty a speedy adoption at CAs. However a CA can at any time match its issuing processes with that of the proposed Mozilla CA policy extension and assign the relevant level to its certificates.

Except that, I think that two levels is not enough, specially as the second level is expected to be for a small minority of subscribers, as in the case of EV, this is currently for registered organizations, server certificates only.

The identity is validated by various means, such as verification of the identity via scanned, photocopied or photographed photo ID documents (passport, identity card, driving license) and company registry, which is then further verified by a lookup at a third party source, such as phone directories and phone call or sending of a registered mail to the address found in the documents provided by the subscriber. This kind of verification is not done in person. Ownership of the domain name, resp. email account is performed according to Level 1. The certificate must state the subscriber name/organization name, locality, state (where applicable) and country.

So for individuals, the certificate contains address information which is unverified?
Who said that it's unverified? Perhaps read it again? Or I might have been not clear enough here?

How does your proposal ensure that the CAs stick to what they have promised - i.e. that the OID they put in the certificates corresponds to the level of validation done? Do we just have to trust them?
Actually yes. In my proposal this is exactly the case, the same as today Mozilla trusts the CAs, that they adhere to the Mozilla Ca policy, which defines in that respect also a minimum level of verifications for example (confirmed by a third part audit). You might argue that this is not enough and come up with a alternative proposal concerning that. However we were thinking about it too and came to the conclusion that this might be the right thing to do.

Cheers!

--
Regards

Signer:      Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.