Hi Andreas,

andreas wrote:
> 1) On the client side I assume I need to build a PKCS#11 module to add to
> Mozilla for accessing a certificate on a smartcard?

There are various modules in order to access smart cards via the PKCS11.
There are vendor specific modules, but also from
http://www.opensc.project.org/

Under the Preferences -> Advanced -> Encryption Tab you find Security
Devices. Add your module there.
> 2) For the serverside I must create a CA and create certificates for the
> smartcard users, configuring the website to require this certificate to set
> up a SSL connection.

Or use third party implementations. Sorry for the promotion, but check
out http://www.startssl.com/
> The hard part I realize is the first step, I am a little familiar with
> PKCS#11 but no experience in smart cards.
> The second part shouldn't be too hard, I have to figure out how to make the
> website request a specific certificate from Mozilla.

This is fairly easy and depends on your server software.
> Thank you.
Hope this helps somewhat.

--
Regards