Hello.
I had the idea for a project to make websites only accessible if a user has a
smartcard with a certificate/key.
The purpose is purely educational without commercial results, I merely want to
learn more and hopefully some day work within that area. :)

My idea is as stated that users are required to have a smartcard to access a
website and this is done in 2 steps;

1) On the client side I assume I need to build a PKCS#11 module to add to
Mozilla for accessing a certificate on a smartcard?

2) For the serverside I must create a CA and create certificates for the
smartcard users, configuring the website to require this certificate to set up
a SSL connection.

The hard part I realize is the first step, I am a little familiar with PKCS#11
but no experience in smart cards.
The second part shouldn't be too hard, I have to figure out how to make the
website request a specific certificate from Mozilla.

My question is, am I totally out in the blue or do I seem to be on the right
track?

I am very new to this subject so please have some patience with me while I
learn. :)

Thank you.