Many times applications ship a CA certificates  bundle with the product.
Many times they are derived or extracted from the certdata.txt [1] file
or simply exported from the browser.

Since sometimes there are some licensing concerns with the certdata.txt
file, I wanted to know exactly what one is allowed to do. If for example
by merely extracting the CA certificates with a tool like
http://curl.haxx.se/lxr/source/lib/mk-ca-bundle.pl still requires the
resulting CA bundle to be bound to the tri-license of Mozilla? Or can I
simply extract all CA certificates from the browser by exporting them?

Obviously the CA certificates themselves aren't property of Mozilla, but
of the CAs, I wonder if the certdata.txt and/or and extraction from it
changes anything. Does Mozilla in one of the cases still retain the
copyrights? Can a waver be granted for this specific file?
I simply don't know the answer, but try to help another project solve an
issue with this, which affects many other applications. Thanks!

[1]
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt

--
Regards

Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:          +1.213.341.0390