Hi Gerv,

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
>
>> Or I could simply push the "Backup" button of the certificate viewer?
>> Except that in this very specific case, the copyright of the different
>> CA certificates are perhaps that of the CAs themselves. However
>> distribution of the CA root is many times part of the CP/CPS of the
>> various CAs and most of the time encouraged (The relying party should be
>> able to verify the signer and CRLs etc)?
>>

> I'm afraid I don't understand this question, if it is a question.

It's not a question, it's a statement ;-)

The obligations of the relying parties are often defined in the CP/CPS,
which requires the RP to perform various actions, like checking the
validity of the certificates, its status (CRL) etc. The RP must have the
CA root to perform these actions...therefore I assume that publishing
and usage of CA roots are not only a privilege but a requirement.

> Actually, apparently I was wrong about that. certdata.txt is compiled.
I know, but an extraction of the certificates from that file and loading
the result of this extractions at run time makes a difference I think.

--
Regards

Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:          +1.213.341.0390