On Feb 20, 7:55 am, Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmd...@alussinan.org> wrote:
> Eddy Nigg wrote:
> > On 02/19/2009 03:30 PM, Jean-Marc Desperrier:
> >> Moxie Marlinspike in Black Hat has just demonstrated a very serious i18n
> >> attack using a *.ijjk.cn certificate.
> >>http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-dc-09/Marlinspike/BlackHat-D...
>
> >> .cn is authorized for i18n, and the * will match anything, allowing all
> >> the classic i18n based attacks.
>
> > This was striking:
>
> > Get a domain-validated SSL wildcard cert for *.ijjk.cn
>
> Yes, it's surprising how some of such attacks seem obvious *after* they
> have been done, but it takes so long to realize it can be done.
>
> The md5 collision between a normal and a *CA* certificate was similar
> for me, "how the fuck did we not think earlier, when it was already
> obvious someone would soon create a collision between two real md5
> certs, that they just had to do that to make the attack really effective".
>
> This being said : Is there already a bug open for this ? The only thing
> that stops me opening it myself is that it might already exist but be
> security restricted.
>
> PS : I think this discussion should be on mozilla.dev.security since
> it's about a security vulnerability, not crypto and not security.policy.
> Does everyone share my opinion ? (I'm setting the follow-up there)

I have no idea as to how to submit an idea to the Mozilla dev team,
but it seems to me that a step towards a solution might include color-
coding portions of the URL to indicate which is the domain that's
"authenticated" by SSL.  For example:

Black on White-> https://
White on blue -> www.pnc.com
Black on light red -> /pages/of/junk/index.html

Yes, it still requires a user to notice the change and make a decision
based on that, but having a strong visual indicator is a step in the
right direction, IMHO.