Some time ago on the HTML5 list[1], I brought up the problem that there wasn't
a straightforward way for a server to determine when the user had closed all
windows/tabs.  We eventually came up with the idea of using a "rel"
extension[2] to specify a "logout" feature[3]; the browser pings the server
when all related windows/tabs are closed.

I am soliciting feedback on the idea: is this something that Mozilla would
consider adding to Firefox?

Currently, the only way that I'm aware of to determine when a user has closed
all related windows/tabs is by having the browser poll the server at a regular
interval, and once the polling stops, the server knows the user is no longer
actively using the site.

Thanks,

- Bil

[1] "When closing the browser" thread: