Hey all,

dveditz <#dveditz> just said on IRC: "this is better as a mail conversation I think -- either mozilla.dev.security or security-group (depending on your taste for open-but-small-audience vs better-audience-but-hidden)"

This perfectly phrases and frames the problem. We're an open-source project and for me that also means openness in project structure, decision-making and leadership. Transparency.

The majority of discussions here on this list are policy discussions that are not specifically about bugs that are still embargoed, but either general "what should we do about this whole class of problems" or about security bugs that are already in the wild and we need to react to that. So, there is no inherent need to keep these discussions hidden.

For those discussions which do need to stay hidden from public view, we can keep this list. For all others, we could theoretically use mozilla.dev.security, but there's way too much noise there, so nobody of importance reads it. I tried posting there several times, and got practically no relevant responses. I suggest:

Create a mailing-list that is moderated. Members of the security-group get automatically subscribed (but they can optionally unsubscribe themselves, if they really don't want it), and they can post without moderator approval. Everybody else can read it, and it has a newsgroup equivalent, but nobody can post from there.

The point would be that there is a public track record of our decisions and why we made them, but we avoid the noise.

I've suggested this before, but it got overloaded with many other things and turned into a very complex proposal, so I'd like to post only this one proposal.

Ben