On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Adrienne Porter Felt <a...@berkeley.edu>
wrote:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Apps/Security#Management_.2F_granting_of_API_permissions_to_WebApps
>
> Under "Management / granting of API permissions to WebApps", I think two
> important points are missing:
>
> 4. User should be able to audit usage of permissions (this is different from
> viewing what permissions an app has, since that does not tell you how or
> when it is used)
> 5. Apps cannot request permission to do something that is not listed in the
> manifest

Agreed on 4. For 5 I would rather say "Apps cannot request permission
to do something is not listed in the manifest *and* that the store
hasn't granted them access to do".

> I'd also like to raise the issue of what happens to permissions when
> principals interact.  Do webapps have iframes like websites?  Can they embed
> advertisements?

Yes.

>  Do the advertisers then get all of the permissions?

No.

> There are two ways iframes/permissions don't mix well:
>
> * Child frame requests permission to do something. User thinks that the
> dialog belongs to the parent frame, accidentally grants the child frame
> access to something.
>
> * Parent frame belongs to an untrusted app with no privileges. It opens a
> child frame with a trusted app in it.  Let's say the child frame performs a
> privileged action as soon as it is opened, using a permanently-granted
> permission.  The untrusted parent frame has now caused some action to occur
> without the user realizing it.

I don't think we should allow trusted apps to be framed. I.e. if an
app opens a url which belongs to a trusted app in an iframe, that url
should run with no special permissions at all. Prompt or no prompt.

/ Jonas