On 06/08/2012 10:52 PM, John Nagle wrote:
> On 6/8/2012 3:02 PM, Sid Stamm wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I think we should implement a windows application reputation extension
>> to Safe Browsing -- to help detect malicious binaries users download and
>> for those we know are safe, stop prompting users.
>>
>> == Background ==
>>
>> Last year, Google started experimenting[0] with an extension to Safe
>> Browsing that helps protect users from malware downloads.  This is a
>> binary-file reputation system based on a whitelist of binaries and
>> domains, and identifies benign executables as windows users attempt to
>> download them.  Benign executables can bypass any "are you sure" UI,
>> making it less annoying to users.
>
>     There are many malware blacklists available.  Here's
> a site that has a list of blacklists:
>
>    http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/public-block-lists

One of my worries is that blacklists get big really fast and won't be as
feasible on mobile devices (cost of updating the lists, downloading and
storing them).

> Building Google's list into Mozilla seems an inappropriate
> tie to a single vendor.

I think we should absolutely build this feature in a way that it is
extensible and allows for importing other types of white/black-lists.
Exploring Google's solution first is easy because we already ship
Firefox with SafeBrowsing built-in, and it's not a stretch to trust
Google a bit more if you haven't already turned off SafeBrowsing.

>    Whitelisting has problems of its own.  At one point,
> the Google Toolbar was widely considered spyware.  Google would
> be unlikely to blacklist their own product.

We maintain a "block" list of Firefox add-ons that is appropriate for
things like blocking toolbars.  Perhaps it makes sense to use multiple
lists from multiple sources.  To be clear, I don't intend to rule that
out, I just recommend starting with one.

-Sid