> Close behind it in priority we'll want APIs to read/modify some key
> preferences, such as hardware acceleration. I'd prefer open ended
> getPref(pref) setPref(pref, value) APIs (so the trusted content can roll
> out new detections and self-healing features without waiting for the
> browser to implement an API tailored for a single pref). But if we have
> to limit things, we have to limit things.

Looking through http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ I see several
minor release fixes that involve flipping a pref (like 18.0.1). How much easier
would our lives be if we didn't have to chemspill for preference changes? Given
that many users accept updates very slowly, if at all
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Firefox_usage_share) it makes sense to
have a generic preference API and eliminate as many of these minor releases,
some of which could be security related, as possible. Having a browser support
API for preferences probably makes Firefox more secure, rather than less secure.

To Kevin's point about hardcoding known badd addons, I don't think that works
given the length of the release cycle (up to 4 months to get from Nightly to
stable), and that would be much less responsive than the blocklist ping already
offers. Looking at bugzilla, input.mozilla.org I see many instances of pain
caused by misbehaving addons.

I support any APIs that make it easier to avoid chemspills, and and APIs that
make it easier to disable misbehaving addons.

Monica

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?v4=squeaky&o5=substring&f1=OP&o3=substring&v6=squeaky&o7=substring&list_id=7821139&f0=OP&f8=CP&v3=squeaky&o2=substring&o6=substring&v7=squeaky&f9=CP&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&f4=alias&v5=squeaky&query_format=advanced&j1=OR&f3=component&f2=product&o4=substring&status_whiteboard=squeaky&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&f5=short_desc&f6=status_whiteboard&v2=squeaky&f7=cf_crash_signature

https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?q=avg&date_end=2013-09-04&date_start=2013-08-28
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?q=ask.com&date_end=2013-09-04&date_start=2013-08-28
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?q=babylon&date_end=2013-09-04&date_start=2013-08-28