Hi Nicholas

Thanks for bringing this up. I think you bring up an important
application scenario that is not at all handled well by the web
platform today.

> everyone happy. Why can't we just whitelist known (or declared secure)
> WebSocket subprotocols? The idea is simple: a WebSocket connection
> which is actually encrypted isn't really mixed at all because of the
> protocol being used. If a 'secure' subprotocol is negotiated, then
> we're OK to let it through in a mixed context.

I disagree. A secure channel is hard to create. As a Firefox user, I
only trust my browser to get it right; to disable MD5 when it becomes
old; to fix the padding oracle attacks; and [on and on]. To take an
extreme case, what stops a site from just using the null cipher and
calling it secure (many sites actually do support the null cipher as
part of https!).

The core problem is: the application author wants to implement a
secure channel whereas the browser only trusts its own implementation.
I don't know what the solution is: maybe allow insecure XHR and WS if
document has CSP turned on with eval/inline-script disabled (thus, no
way to convert data to code)

thanks
dev