On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Jack Moffitt <j...@metajack.im> wrote:

> I asked ekr how much this mattered, and he thought it was important. I
> don't think anyone has pointed me to a documented attack, but it
> definitely seems like the kind of thing that could be done somehow.

I guess I left out an important point: multiple content processes only
improve security if we can reliably ensure that attacking code is never run
in the same process with potential target content.

That means either really spawning a new process for every origin, at least,
or (for some value of "reliably ensure") separating content based on some
kind of trustworthiness score.

I would argue that the first isn't really feasible. I think (but might be
mistaken) all browsers start combining tabs after a certain amount to not
gobble up too much memory. In the second case, we might just as well use a
single process for a trustworthiness group right away.

> How we allocate domains to content processes is an open question. It's
> not clear whether we want to segregate high value targets or low value
> targets. But the infrastructure required is the same either way pretty
> much. The only strategy we know won't work is round-robin/random,
> since the attacker could just keep creating domains until they land in
> the right process.
>
> To be clear, I don't think there is very much code complexity here
> over the normal 2 process (chrome + content) solution. We already have
> to have process spawning and IPC. The only thing that changes here is
> code to decide where to spawn new pipelines.

I'm not concerned about code complexity, but about memory usage. Memory
usage in many-tab scenarios is one of the measures where Firefox is still
vastly superior to the competition, and I think we should aim for roughly
matching that.