On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Michael Howell <michaelhowell...@gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > I can think of one advantage right now: by having script and layout in
> > separate processes, a compromised script thread doesn't automatically
> give
> > an attacker the ability to produce malformed display lists that draw
> > outside the tab boundary.
> >

> Seems to me this can easily be prevented by clipping the display lists
> produced by content layout.

Even outside of compromise script threads, Firefox gets a steady trickle of
bugs where somebody figures out how to get some content-controlled UI thing
(like a context menu) to overlay privileged UI like the URL bar. These are
usually fairly weak as far as spoofing attacks go, but I think it would be
nice if  banning content from overlaying chrome could be done, changing a
front end bug from a possible exploit into a weird graphical glitch. UI
designers might not like such a hard restriction, though.

Andrew