I am very excited to report that I managed to find a solution, although why it worked remains a mystery.

I deleted my certificate from ProtectTools; I then imported it into Thunderbird, selecting "Embedded Security Chip" as the token. Simple, huh? Why didn't I try that earlier, I ask myself.

One thing still puzzles me. There's an icon in ProtectTools Certificate Viewer for each certificate; the one next to the certificate that I added to Thunderbird "is used for certificates without corresponding private key" (according to the Help documentation). So where is the private key? Could it still be in Thunderbird's certificate database? I don't want it in there; I want it to be safely stored away in the TPM. Can good 'ol modutil and certutil help me determine where my private key is?