I need to clarify something: there are two states in which I can have my notebook (the one with the TPM):

1. Certificates directly (via ProtectTools import function) and fully (the icons indicate that private keys are available) imported into the TPM. This is the state in which I found my machine at the end of the certificate purchase process that I described earlier in detail. In this state, Thunderbird *cannot* see the certificates; nor can certutil.

2. Certificates indirectly (via Thunderbird) imported into the TPM. In this state, Thunderbird can see and use the certificates to sign and validate signed e-mails; but the icons in the ProtectTools Certificate Viewer show that the private key is not available. certutil *can* see the certificates (I will re-verify this later tonight). It is unclear to me where the private keys are in fact stored; and that is my only remaining concern.

Dave