Some more information:

I notice that in one scenario, the one where the private key is marked 'not available' in ProtectTools, there appears a button in the Certificate Viewer, labelled 'Install Certificate...'.

Naturally, I push the button.

I am led through the Certificate Import Wizard, whose introduction says, "This wizard helps you copy certificates, certificate trust lists, and certificate revocation lists from your disk to a certificate store."

I click Next

I am asked to select a system area for storage of the certificate. I select "Determine automatically based on the type of certificate".

The wizard says, "The import was successful"

I look around to see what has changed. Nothing. Not a thing. The private keys are still marked as unavailable.