Bob Relyea wrote:

>>> In general, this cannot be done.  It is possible to put "name constraints"
>>> on CAs that are subordinate to a root CA, but not generally on root CAs.
>>>
>> I was afraid of getting an answer like this but thanks for replying anyway.
>> :)
>>
> This is the general problem PKIX and cross certificates are supposed to
> solve.
>
> In the PKIX model you would create a new intermediate with the same
> subject and keys as the root cert you want to trust. You would then add
> constraint extenstions to the intermediate to limit what name spaces it
> can use (and what policies it can issue). That allows you to extend
> limitted trust to other certificate domains.

This is consistent with what I said.  Distrust all roots CAs but your own.
Issue intermediate CA certs with name constraints that effectively replace
all the distrusted root certs.

> PKIX is currently planned for NSS 3.12, so won't be available in any
> mozilla based products this year.

He needn't wait for PKIX to do the above.  PKIX is only needed if he's going
to involve policy-based chain building.

--
Nelson B