David Stutzman wrote:
> Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this topic.  I am asking here rather
> than in the bug I need this information for because I hope it might be
> helpful to others in my situation.  I searched the old newsgroup and
> this one for the information and nothing jumped out at me.  If it's
> elsewhere, feel free to point me.
>
> What is the official procedure for generating/applying a patch to NSS?
>
> When I created the example patch I attached to the bug in question I
> just used the official NSS 3.11.2 sources that I extracted from a
> tarball downloaded from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/security/nss/releases/ and used
> diff on a linux system.  The patch I have been asked to verify I
> attempted to apply to 3.11.2, 3.11.3, and 3.11 sources (using the patch
> command on a linux system) and over half of the changeblocks were
> rejected and when I began to manually apply the changes I see the code
> is organized diferently.
>
> Should I be using CVS source for both creating and verifying a patch?
> Should I be using the patch command?

David, I think you're referring to bug 348882.  The patch attached to
that bug is for the trunk, not for any of the NSS 3.11.x release tags
on the NSS_3_11_BRANCH.

To apply it, you'll need to pull NSS from the trunk, then use the
patch command to apply the patch.  Please advise if that is a problem.

To create a patch, you should always use the "cvs diff -u" command, IMO.