Steve/Bob,

The problem with JSS is that there are JSS-specific calls
in the code that are required to make it work; for example,
the code you pointed out has the following:

107     CryptoManager.InitializationValues vals = new
108             CryptoManager.InitializationValues (dbdir );
109             vals.removeSunProvider = true;
110             CryptoManager.initialize(vals);
111             manager = CryptoManager.getInstance();
112             manager.setPasswordCallback( new
FilePasswordCallback(file) );

For someone who's trying to write JCE Provider-independent
code, no matter how small these sections are, they're a
maintenance headache.

Contrast that with the approach that allows an end-user to
switch providers by just modifying values in property files
(without the need for if-then-else sections that check for
provider-types).

While Sun does provide the SunPKCS11-Bridge (and SunCAPI-
Bridge) to hide the provider-specific configuration, it does
add a level of complexity that can be a bear to debug when
things go wrong.

This is why I expressed the desire to see something come
out of the Fedora Crypto Consolidation (FCC) effort that will
make it possible for Java developers to write applications
that do not stray from the JCE API *and* will still work
with the FCC implementation seamlessly without the need for
a PKCS11/CAPI Bridge.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.