Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> Therefore I think it's wrong to categorically deny OpenSSL as a useless
> piece of code not worthy to be used by CAs - just because some code-hero
> (or script-kiddy) had it wrong. That's certainly no the case!

You're right, my comment was a bit snarky in a way I didn't really
intend, and I apologize for that. I agree that OpenSSL is a good product
(and one that the Mozilla Foundation has helped fund some development
for, BTW), and in any case the present problem is really an OpenSSL on
Debian problem, not an OpenSSL problem per se.

However it's still unclear to me how many public commercial CAs have
incorporated OpenSSL+Debian, or even just OpenSSL, as a core part of
their infrastructure. You're willing and able at Startcom to "hand
build" large parts of your CA system, but I'm not sure if that's common
among public commercial CAs, or whether Startcom is unusual in this
regard. I'd rather guess that most public commercial CAs are deploying
off-the-shelf commercial CA software bought from a third party.

Frank

P.S. Since we're talking about hackable CA software, I'll also mention
the Dogtag project out of Red Hat, the open source version of the
commercial Red Hat Certificate System.

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]