2008/6/12 Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I found that Frank created http://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Problematic_Practices
> and Kathleen has started to ask questions also relating to those practices
> during here information gathering and reviews.

That page lists "Allowing external entities to operate subordinate CAs"
as a problematic practice.

If a company or school needs to issue a lot of certs to its internal
servers, what is the recommended practice?  I always thought the
organization should operate an intermediate CA subordinate to a
root CA.  Isn't that the hierarchical model of PKI?   If this is a
problematic practice, is Mozilla recommending that the organization
buy individual certs from a commercial CA, or operate its own root CA?
Perhaps this is why we have so many root CAs now.

Wan-Teh