Wan-Teh Chang wrote:
> That page lists "Allowing external entities to operate subordinate CAs"
> as a problematic practice.

I think that a better title for that page would be "potentially
problematic practices". This is not really a binary "good" vs. "bad"
issue. There is a spectrum of possible practices, some of which are
really not problematic at all, and some of which are.

> If a company or school needs to issue a lot of certs to its internal
> servers, what is the recommended practice?  I always thought the
> organization should operate an intermediate CA subordinate to a
> root CA.

There are a number of possible options and associated practices. For
example, one option would be for a commercial CA to operate a
subordinate CA on behalf of an organization, with the organization
serving only as an RA. Another option would be for the commercial CA to
authorize the organization to operate a subordinate CA on its own
premises, but constrain the subordinate in terms of what types of certs
it can issue. And a third would be for the organization's subordinate CA
to have broad powers to issue any types of certs, for any domain, as
well as to create its own hierarchy.

As the amount of autonomy granted to the organization increases, so do
potential risks: the organization might not be as diligent in key
protection as the commercial CA, it might be more lax in its
verification procedures, and so on. That's why I think it's worth
marking this practice at least with a "yellow flag", as being worthy of
further investigation.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker