I am extending our application software to function as an LDAP/SSL client
for login authentication.  To do this, I have built the Mozilla LDAP C SDK
6.0.4 with NSS 3.11.9 and NSPR 4.7.

Obviously, our customers have to set up cert8.db and key3.db files that will
trust the certificate of the LDAP server.  In my development environment,
certutil and pk12util do that quite nicely.  But some customers may prefer
to use a full-scale PKI instead in their production environments.

Also, in the NSS documentation at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/ref/ssl/gtstd.html#1011987
I find the following warning:
WARNING: The CA certificate you produce with the NSS tools is a self-signed
certificate that works correctly for testing purposes but should not be used
in a real-world deployment. Similarly, the client SSL and server SSL
certificates created with the NSS tools are for testing purposes only. To
deploy certificates used in a real public-key infrastructure (PKI), either
use a third-party CA or use a certificate server (such as Netscape
Certificate Management System) to set up your own CA and issue certificates.
The Certificate Database Tool does not provide the facilities for a
full-blown PKI deployment, and the certificates it creates should not be
considered trustworthy for that purpose.

So I have two questions:

1 - If a customer wants to use some PKI software instead of
certutil/pk12util to distribute and install server and/or client
certificates, which versions of which PKI products should produce cert8.db
and key3.db files that will work for SSL with NSS 3.11.9?

2 - Aside from issues of convenience and scalability, are there any security
problems with using certutil and/or pk12util to build and maintain cert8db
and key3.db databases specifically for an LDAP/SSL client?  (We do not
supply the LDAP/SSL server, so users will presumably get their certificates
from some CA and/or use some other tools to create them.)

Dennis Darch
SofTech, Inc.