I will defer to your experience in the war-stories you've heard, Nelson.
You've certainly seen a lot more people do stupid things in this area
than I have, I'm sure.  I tend to get involved only when people want to
do PKI the right way :-).

I am a strong believer that educating the general masses about doing
things the right way leads a better environment for all of us.  To that
extent, based on my experiences in setting up more than a dozen PKIs
over the last 9 years (from the world's largest pharmaceutical company
to a medical devices startup that is embedding digital certificates in
its devices for anti-counterfeiting) I have summarized some guidelines
in an article called "Building a Successful PKI" article that was
published in the ISSA Journal some years ago.  It is available to ISSA
members in their archives, or if interested readers send me an e-mail
directly.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.