At 4:59 PM -0700 9/23/08, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>In finality, you have to pick a table from someone you believe has done a
>really good job of analyzing it.

Right.

>Given that NIST's tables are the basis
>for the US Government's protection of its own secrets, which it guards
>jealously, I'm inclined to accept them as adequately conservative.  :)

This may seem nitpicky, but...

NIST's tables are for "Federal Government unclassified applications"
(see the table intro on page 65). NIST does not set the rules for US
Govt secrets; the NSA does. See
<http://www.nsa.gov/ia/industry/crypto_suite_b.cfm>. The NSA's
requirements for secret and top secret are quite different than what
you see in SP 800-56 part 1. Apropos to this thread, RSA signing is
not allowed for certificates on secret or top secret material, only
ECDSA is.