Eddy Nigg wrote:
> The principal guiding us should be the audit requirements mentioned
> above and there shall be no CA included which hasn't undergone such an
> audit, being it as part of a root or in its own rights. A root shall not
> be included in case sub-ordinate CAs exist which haven't seen the face
> of an auditor at least once (not speaking about yearly re-auditing yet).

This issue is going to come up with WISeKey (scheduled for public
comment next week), but I may as well speak of it in general terms right
now.

It is not clear to me that it's realistic for us to require actual
audits for each and every third-party subordinate CA. Even beyond the
WISeKey model (the "CA in a box" appliance device), I suspect that a
number of other CAs serving the enterprise market have enough
subordinates that it would be unrealistic to require actual audits of
all subordinates in these cases as well. (Which is not to say that
there's no auditing at all -- for example, the (root) CA could have some
sort of random or spot auditing scheme.)

> Since the Mozilla CA policy clearly calls for auditing of the CA, I
> think that Mozilla will have to share the burden in cases the CAs in
> question haven't been part of such an audit and would like to apply in
> their own right. Not sure how many there will be, but in such a case
> it's simply a matter of implementing the policy.

Well, it does matter how difficult it is to implement a policy, and I
think we have to exercise some judgment here. At one end of the spectrum
we have situations where we have a small number of subordinate CAs, each
of which issues lots and lots of certificates. T-Systems is apparently
like this, as are KISA and perhaps others. Here I think it is realistic
for us to take a closer look at the subordinates.

In other cases, like the "enterprise CA" case mentioned above, there are
lots of subordinates, and each subordinate issues relatively few
certificates. Here I think it is unrealistic to look at each and every
CA; it's quite possible we won't even know the actual names of each and
every CA. In these case I think we will instead have to look at the
overall manner in which the (root) CA oversees and controls the
subordinates.

To echo what I wrote earlier, it's analogous to the case of CAs that
out-source the RA function to others, especially in the enterprise
environment. I doubt that, e.g., a WebTrust audit entails auditing each
and every organization participating in RA activities; I presume what is
done is instead to look at the overall controls in place for such
arrangements.

> I think path length should be 0 for such CAs. It's a requirement for the
> issuing CA certificate of EV certificates and makes sense also here.

Thanks. If you have time please feel free to edit the wiki page and add
a note on this near the bottom (where subordinate are discussed).

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]