On 12/12/08 20:39, Frank Hecker wrote:
Note that I have in fact reviewed various sections of the CPS and CP,
using Google Translate. I didn't see anything in them that was
inconsistent with what I've written above.

I find this fascinating.  According to the policy, this works.

(Let me be clear: according to the what I see, SECOM passes muster, and I am not commenting on them. This is comments on the wider scope of things, and Mozilla's regime.)

But it seems to raise some questions (or emphasise ones made earlier). I think there is a solution, but first to ramble some.

We can only see the document through the eyes of Google Translate. I'm well aware of that tool, I use it all the time for documents, and it isn't what I would call "reliable". "IMHO."

Which leaves us with a google-eye-view and a boilerplate audit report. Well, ok: It leaves the *non-japanese-reader* with that. And it leaves Mozilla's due diligence with that.

Switching to userland, my decision to rely on such a cert is based on what? Nothing, because it is all in japanese or legalese? Or, it is based on Mozo's DD, which was ... based on not much more.

Which leads to the first easy fix: insist that all non-english CAs translate all their docs. Then I can read the CPS! I personally am unsatisfied at that, I see flaws.

1. Frank has made the case for regional and local CAs. The web is wide, and CPSs are very long documents. So I think translating *all* important documents to english is not only impractical but also discriminatory, as non-english cultures (most of them) will then face a barrier that the english do not do not.

2. OTOH, we do have a Mozilla policy (unwritten perhaps) that all CAs are the same. So I as end-user do not need to read the CPS in order to pursue my dodgy trade, mozo did this for me... Whether we agree with the substance of it or not, Mozo has to act as if it were true, because it takes on such a heavy load in due diligence, and the UI does its best to hide any DD info from the user. Which leaves only Mozo needing to review the translated documents .... and only it? I can't see this scaling either because of the next point.

3. CPSs are dynamic, or should be dynamic. OK, that's not quite true, but it is true that threats are dynamic, and therefore security models should be dynamic, and CPSs should respond alike. If one is really interested in security, one would be unimpressed by controlled translations, because the result would be static security (c.f., Boyd).

As I see it, mass translation doesn't scale.

A possible solution is an open end-user offer. I have before mentioned that each CA should have a relying party agreement or similar; something on offer to the mozo end-user. It should be the minimum, or default, or entry-level document for the end-user. It should apply even if the user never saw it, like an open source licence. It should set liabilities between CA and end-user.

Now, if such a document were written by each CA, that would be a *reasonable* target for translation. Indeed, it may work for mozo to say:

    * you must have an end-user offer or RPA or similar
    * it should be short and sweet and plain language
    * it must have a reliable translation in english or be in english
    * it must set a liability limit
    * it must be prominent, easily available, unmistakable

CAs generally have these already, they are about 3 pages, they are not impossible to read, and they don't change much. No real drama for translation.

If such a thing existed in Mozo's policy, it would probably sweep away a lot of the woes circling around the above situation.

iang