On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Frank Hecker
<hec...@mozillafoundation.org> wrote:
> I've asked Robin Alden of Comodo to make an accounting regarding these two
> issues. I don't expect to see that immediately (i.e., in the next day or
> two), though I also don't expect to wait a month for it (as Kyle is
> concerned about).

Actually, I think it's very important that the accounting include this:

for each name (not just certificate, but name in
subjectAlternativeNames) that has been certified, a connection to the
TLS ports should be made, and the certificate presented by the site
compared against the certificate that Comodo issued.  This obviously
won't be a complete verification, but it should give a start to see
how widespread the problem is.

A script to do this could probably be written fairly easily, but
depending on the number of certificates Comodo has issued that are
currently valid (and I'd like to see some hard numbers on that, as
well) it could take a while to run.

>From the script, the numbers I'd like to see are: the number of
unreachable/not-answering names/hosts, the number of matching
certificates, and the number of mismatched certificates.  From that
output plus Comodo's records, I would also like to see how many
resellers there are and how many of them have sold mismatched
certificates.

I hate to say this, but this IS The Worst-Case Scenario.  A CA has
gone rogue and issued certificates that violate its standards, and the
standards of the root programs that it's a part of -- it is true that
Comodo didn't /intend/ to go rogue, but it has, and we can't afford to
let it damage the greater PKI.  Since every CA in the root store is
treated the same, there is no differentiation between them -- and this
means that Verisign and Comodo and Thawte and *every* CA share the
same reputation.  If one goes rogue, it's exactly the same as if all
of them have gone rogue, in the eye of the end-user.

To put it another way, it's exactly the same problem as putting the
public keys of webservers in DNSSEC.  Since the end-system can't know
if a response came from DNSSEC or just unauthenticated DNS, the
end-system can't trust anything (including RFC2538-style CERT records)
that comes from DNS.

THIS is why I want to see greater differentiation in the browser
chrome between CAs, so that one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole root
barrel.  THIS is why the argument against changing the chrome (user
convenience) fails.

-Kyle H