On 12/24/2008 12:20 AM, Frank Hecker:
Eddy Nigg wrote:
Concerning the disruption, Comodo has many roots and the resetting of
this specific root would affect low-assurance sites as far as I know.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't think it would affect EV
sites (because of the way validation for those sites is special-cased),
but it could affect non-EV sites under other Comodo brands (I mean,
other than the PositiveSSL brand) and it could also affect other CAs
whose CA certs are cross-signed by the UTN-UserFirst-Hardware root.

How about ADDING the chained issuing CA certificate to NSS and mark it deliberately untrusted (no bits turned on)?

But our dilemma here shows clearly that we must have tools to act to such threats. It's probably one of the lessons to learn from this incident.

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: start...@startcom.org
Blog:   https://blog.startcom.org