On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Florian Weimer <f...@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> BCP 38 requires that active MITM attacks don't work on LANs. LANs
> which violate that and are under attack are typically not very usable:
> Search engines blocks you due to automated queries, DHCP and DNS
> delivers data which is not 100% accurate (with unknown consequences),
> you receive even more web ads than usual, rogue PPPoE servers sniff
> your credentials, and so on.

I'll point out that at least one of the cases which Mozilla is using
as its standard for the security UI involved a user who was subject to
an active MITM attack while connected to a public wireless hotspot.

BCPs do NOT mandate anything.  They are "best current practices", and
it's a fact that they can be ignored by anyone for any time for any
reason (they are advisory, but local policy can and will often
override them).

> In short, I don't think this is the use case to optimize for.

I think this is important to realize: security is not an
all-or-nothing thing.  Anyone who puts all of their eggs in one basket
(a single thick wall, or a moat -- or, as was found in the late 90s, a
firewall) is going to be unpleasantly surprised when the security of
their supposedly-impregnable defense is breached and they have no
mitigation plan.

We NEED to optimize for this case.

(note: "unknown_issuer" without talking at all about who the issuer
claims to be -- and being able to download a certificate and then
accept it without having to see who it's issued by -- is a "WTF WAS
THE SECURITY TEAM THINK--WAIT, WAS THE SECURITY TEAM THINKING??!!!!"
situation.  It failed to mitigate against the attack that Nelson
cites, bug 460374.)

-Kyle H