Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> ("legitimate sites will never ask you to add an exception" my ass.)

If we shorten the phrase to
  "Legitimate banks and stores will not ask you to do this"
would you not agree that is true enough as far as the average non-expert
user need be concerned?

The furor seems to be over the "and other public sites" bit, which I
believe to be an attempt to cover things like government sites,
charities and the like -- and as such that's pretty much still a true
statement as well. Public, as opposed to private sites which might
legitimately use a self-signed.

Can you suggest better wording that would help our roughly 200 million
users make the right choice?