> Getting back to your question.  You want the server to also collect the
> browser's machine location ...  Presumably you have already looked at all
> the browser headers and decided that the IP address isn't good enough.

The problem with the IP address is that it does not necessarily
identify the user. For example, many ISP's (in the UK at least) will
identify web traffic from a single browser as being from an arbitrary
address from a block that they own. This can change at any time, and
therefore cannot be used as a way to uniquely identify a browser.

> Is there a reason why you want certificates involved?  Why can't the
> machine's website just have a drop-down or cookie or something that says
> what store it is in?

The reason why we want certificates involved is because in general we
don't trust the user to do the right thing outside of working hours.
This is the real digression we have between standard usage of X.509
and our required usage. We don't want to issue John Doe who just got a
job in Kwik-e-Mart with a personal certificate to transact business on
behalf of his employer: we want to give him a username and password
that will allow him to transact business through our application
running on an already authenticated PC under the control of the
Kwik-e-Mart IT department. Then, the X.509 installation (and therefore
the knowledge of the pass phrase to accomplish such an installation)
can be performed by a trusted individual within the Kwik-e-Mart
organisation, rather than John Doe (who might get criminal notions and
put through transactions using his X509 certificate under his own name
from his ADSL connection at home).

Regards
Denis

Annadale Technologies Limited