Kyle Hamilton wrote, On 2009-02-09 18:29:
> Hey, I just ran into the first application of client certificate
> authentication requirement on a public US government website that I've
> seen.
>
> [link] https://sportal.uspto.gov/secure/portal/efs-unregistered
> [/link] has information on the "unregistered submission" process, but
> it also strongly encourages people to register.  The information on
> the "PAIR" system they have indicates that the private,
> not-yet-submitted information will only be accessed or accepted if the
> client computer authenticates via certificate, as well.
>
> (I don't yet know details about their hierarchy.  I'm working on it,
> though.  However, I think that it's extremely likely that they're
> using a private-label CA for the certificate issuance.)
>
> Personally, I think this is a huge step forward.  While it's still a
> niche market, the fact that a US government organization is willing to
> do this suggests that others might in the future.  (I'm thinking I'd
> eventually like to see this with the Internal Revenue Service. ;) )

I played with it a bit.
As far as I can tell, it is not doing SSL client authentication, per se',
at least not using the browser's built-in SSL client auth capabilities.

The page https://sas.uspto.gov/authenticate/AuthenticateUserLocalEPF.html
downloads some Javascript which in turn downloads a Java applet named
EntrustTruePassClient.  This looks for a file on your local disk with
a file name ending in .epf. The page says:
> NOTE : DIGITAL CERTIFICATES provided by USPTO have a file name that ends in
> ".epf".
I gather that it also contains your private key.  What it does, exactly,
after that is unknown to me.  I lost interest after seeing that it's not
doing SSL client auth.