-----Mensagem original-----
De: dev-tech-crypto-bounces+bribeiro=certisign.com...@lists.mozilla.org
[mailto:dev-tech-crypto-bounces+bribeiro=certisign.com...@lists.mozilla.org]
Em nome de Frank Hecker
Enviada em: terça-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2009 17:53
Para: dev-tech-crypto@lists.mozilla.org
Assunto: Re: Application of client certificates on a US government website

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> Hey, I just ran into the first application of client certificate
> authentication requirement on a public US government website that I've
> seen.

As Nelson write, this isn't really SSL client auth per se, but I agree
it is interesting.

> Personally, I think this is a huge step forward.  While it's still a
> niche market, the fact that a US government organization is willing to
> do this suggests that others might in the future.

Speaking to Anders's point about provisioning, I think the largest
deployment of client certificates in the US government is probably the
DoD PKI implementation, where they solved the provisioning problem in a
brute force manner by giving everybody hardware tokens. In other cases
you'd have to give some people some incentive to participate; the PTO
might be a good place to do so because there's a community of people
(e.g., patent and trademark lawyers) who regularly interact with the PTO
and are motivated to get in compliance with whatever security measures
the PTO puts into place.

> (I'm thinking I'd
> eventually like to see this with the Internal Revenue Service. ;) )

Maybe for a restricted community like tax preparers, but I think the
chances of any nationwide certificate use by all taxpayers are very low
given the failure of past efforts (like those of the USPS) to establish
a general US government-to-citizen PKI.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker