Neil wrote:

I also notice that checkPassword(""); logs out if there was a password. Can this behaviour be relied on, or should I call logoutSimple() too?

To answer my own question, nsPK11Token::CheckPassword calls PK11_CheckUserPassword which is documented as logging out if the password is incorrect. I think this works because PK11_CheckUserPassword calls C_Login immediately without calling IsLoggedIn first.

Anyway, I've checked in a patch to switch to using checkPassword("") but that was almost certainly too late for SeaMonkey 2.0

The original log out bug seems to date back to the earliest that I can find an implementation for it, which is some time in 2002.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.