On 2010-02-18 03:06 PST, Michael Ströder wrote:

> I'm using Seamonkey 2.0.3 under Linux. Is there a way to list and tweak the
> cached S/MIME capabilities for certain recipients?

There is no way to list them, at present.  There could be.  It just doesn't
exist.  As for "tweaking" them, they get tweaked each time you receive a new
signed email message from your correspondent.  If your correspondent gets
new capabilities, and sends you a new signed email message, that message
should near his new capabilities, and when you read it, your DB's record of
that correspondent's capabilities should be updated.

Mozilla email (whether SeaMonkey or Thunderbird) will use the strongest
ciphers mutually supported, so there should be no need to tweak anything
manually.

The design of S/MIME caps is intended to have the effect that you NEVER send
an encrypted message to a correspondent without evidence that the
correspondent will be able to decrypt it.  This largely avoids the problem
of sending an encrypted message to a correspondent that he cannot decrypt.

In all the years that Mozilla email products have supported encrypted email,
we've had VERY few complaints of that nature (I couldn't decrypt the email
someone sent me), and in those few cases where we did, it was because
users had multiple installations (usually on multiple systems) of their
email software, but only had their private key on one of the systems.
Problems of receiving an email that was encrypted with an algorithm
unsupported by the recipient have been non-existent, just as it should be.