On 2/10/11 1:25 PM, Eddy Nigg wrote:
On 02/10/2011 07:20 PM, From Steve Schultze:
Zack, arguing with Eddy on this point is a losing proposition.
DNSSEC+TLSA is has some demonstrably superior characteristics to CA
DV, but Eddy is not willing to concede this or even give detailed
reasoning.

Well, we know about the advantages and shortcomings of CAs, you still
have to provide a loot of proof about the supposed superiority of DNSSEC
and what potential shortcomings will be.

As I have said repeatedly (and you have never addressed) the CA DV model relies on DNS and thus imports any vulnerabilities that exist in a DNS-based model. CA DV blindly trusts DNS. The only thing it can do relative to a pure-DNS approach is add more vulnerabilities.

I just mentioned in the previous mail a couple of arguments, perhaps
you've got some answer to those instead of ranting against me?

I won't bother restating the reasons why CAs provide no comparative benefit when it comes to policing "bad behavior", presuming one even considers that a good policy outcome. It's all already in that m.d.s.p thread.

We have also already discussed warranties elsewhere. I'm happy to discuss the problems with the legal structure underlying such warranties and the problems with the liability caps on such warranties (to the extent that such caps are enforceable), but the only venue in which the warranties even claim to have any significant force is in the EV context... a context in which I wholeheartedly agree that the certs provide comparative benefit over DANE. So, I'm not sure we have anything more to discuss on that point either. It's also extremely OT for this newsgroup.

I'm not ranting against you. I'm trying to focus the discussion on actual claims and verifiable facts.