Hello All,
I am using NSS db and utility to maintain certificates for a web
server. I am facing an issue, please go through the steps I am
listing. Can anyone explain why I am getting 'u' attr for certificate
with ca-3 alias even though I did not provide this attribute while
adding it. This is creating problem for me - CA signed cert with
tomcat is not considered as the server certificate but the one with
ca-3 is being considered.

Please help me to get over this issue, thanks.

I have ca-3 alias for a self-signed cert and tomcat alias is for CA signed cert:
1. [root@GQMTRLPSN01 CSCOcpm]# certutil -d
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat-6.0.36/conf/nssdb/ -L
ca-2                                                         CT,C,C
ca-3                                                         CTu,Cu,Cu
ca-7                                                         CT,C,C
www.cisco.com.pem                            CT,C,C
tomcat                                                     u,u,u
ca-1                                                         CT,C,C
ca-4                                                         CT,C,C

2. I deleted ca-3 from nss db:
[root@GQMTRLPSN01 CSCOcpm]# certutil -D -n ca-3  -d
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat/conf/nssdb/  -k
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat/conf/pwdfile.txt

So now, ca-3 is no more listed.
[root@GQMTRLPSN01 CSCOcpm]# certutil -d
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat-6.0.36/conf/nssdb/ -L
ca-2                                                         CT,C,C
ca-7                                                         CT,C,C
www.cisco.com.pem                            CT,C,C
tomcat                                                       u,u,u
ca-1                                                        CT,C,C
ca-4                                                        CT,C,C

3. Next, added ca-3 again (cmd was taken from instrumented output):
 [root@GQMTRLPSN01 CSCOcpm]# certutil -A -n ca-3 -i
/tmp/cert6345886513151373833.pem -t 'TP,,'  -d
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat-6.0.36/conf/nssdb/  -f
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat-6.0.36/conf/pwdfile.txt

Moment I did this, I can see the ā€˜uā€™ attr for this cert:
[root@GQMTRLPSN01 CSCOcpm]# certutil -d
/opt/CSCOcpm/appsrv/apache-tomcat-6.0.36/conf/nssdb/ -L
ca-2                                                         CT,C,C
ca-7                                                         CT,C,C
ca-3                                                         TPu,u,u
www.cisco.com.pem                               CT,C,C
tomcat                                                       u,u,u
ca-1                                                         CT,C,C
ca-4                                                         CT,C,C