> On 19 Nov 2013, at 11:28 am, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Marcos Caceres <mcace...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> On Monday, November 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> Bookmarking. And in particular bookmarking to home screen should not
>>> have dramatically different security properties from just bookmarking.
>>> They ought to be identical (and indeed, have negligible effect).
>>
>> Thanks for clarifying. I think I agree with this, but I’m currently
>> investigating what the implications are. I have a *very early* draft of this
>> research, and the good thing is that at least IE on Windows 8, Firefox for
>> Android, and Chrome for Android tend to agree with you (will push that part
>> of the research to the document soon).
>
> So the differences I found that are not desirable are:
>
> * If I'm logged into Facebook and then open a hosted app that Facebook
> session is distinct. That's not the case in a browser today. I can see
> us adding a feature that allows Facebook to opt out of sharing its
> session with other sites, but by default I think we want the existing
> model. (And definitely not change it around based on a bookmark.)
>
> * When I click a link "the browser" opens. If the browser is core to
> the OS everything in it should have a URL (whether visible or not,
> that's an implementation detail) and navigation should happen
> seamlessly between them. I don't think we need any behavioral
> difference here between something that is bookmarked and something
> that is not. Of course apps can opt in to having their links open in a
> new window, using target=_blank.

Great stuff! I'll make sure the above is captured as requirements (and
ultimately ends up in the spec).

> I think part of the disconnect might be that the web is an actual OS
> would be fundamentally different from what we have today. You cannot
> really compare it with an OS that has a browser or an apps market
> (such as Mac OS X and Firefox OS). The OS is the browser and the apps
> market is the web.

Be great if you could expand this out in a blog post or something. We have a
lot of work to do to shift people to this line of thinking (which I also agree
with). I can then, with your permission, add it to the doc I'm working on.

If you think of anything else, please let me know!